Monday, February 1, 2010

On the 2nd day of Valentines...


mini books and inkwell
Originally uploaded by graceewhite
Oh right. We don't do this for Valentines Day. BUT if we did my true love would send me the 10 most romantic books of all time.

Look at these beautiful books by graceewhite. Check her flicker stream to see more of her fine work or find her at etsy as honeyandbee.

One list of the 10 most romantic books comes from http://allwomanstalk.com/

1.Tess of the d'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
2. Frenchmans Creek by Daphe du Maurier
3. The Thornbirds by Coleen McCoullough
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
6. Katherine by Anya Seton
7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
8. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
10. Persuasion by Jane Austen

I like The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys which is the only book by a female writer included in the 10 best books ever written list
and Le Divorce by Diane Johnson for a lighter side of romance...with some dark spots. OK I also like Twin Sombreros by Zane Grey... What about you?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Tess of the D'Urbervilles? Rebecca? What definition of romantic are they using?

My Realitty said...

Good point. Maybe they thought the femal experience equals "tragedy".We know that is not true.As Jo said in the work of Louisa May Alcott, "Let me be a girl for as long as I can". I am greatful I live in this era. xoxo C

redrickshaw said...

I'm here! I have read most of those books except 2,5,and 6 and 9. I have also read several books by Jean RHys including 'the wide sargasso sea'.I am ashamed that it has been a very long time since i read a book from cover to cover. Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me as I used to read alot. maybe it is beacuse I can't find the right book. I will go and find a book. What have I enjoyed...'The Woman in white and moonstone by Wilkie Collins, Charles Dickens, Gabriel Garcia Marquez,and books by Arnold bennett. I think I prefer old stories better than new.